Since next launch will have Unity desktop, I decided to install the netbook and available unity edition for 10.10, but my experience has been less than pleasant.
I’ll post a few comments about my worries, perhaps you know how to solve them already.
- The left bar is nice: but so far I’ve been unable to customize it! Not intelhidding, nor control over the size. The pick into the dock problem has already solve for unity but not for Netbook. Personally, I rather prefer a docky panel instead of an un-customizable bar.
- Mension by a lot of people, the <Alt>-F1 and <Alt>-F2 binding are not working. I’ve never used <Alt>-F1 but <Alt>-F2 is quite useful for the intermediate or advance user.
- The Super-key: In netbook desktop somehow I loved that the super-key allows us to select a launcher from the bar. However this functionality is not in Unity. Worse, each time I press super-key, it sends me to the menu… How could I use the compiz functions so? like Super-a
- My compiz-configuration from Gnome is used by Unity… so when I press the show desktops I can see only one. How do I get 4 of them?
- I really, really love the fact that in the upper bar are shown the menu of the current selected window, specially because one can un-maximize the window and the menu remains in the panel.
- Perhaps the upper border of the graphical windows could be made thiner.. since there is no menu there any more!
I think this is mostly it!
Anyway… I’ll keep in touch
Although all my possible negative comment, I think you have done a remarkable work with this environment… but we all know that mind breaking changes should support crisis! Don’t they?!